One of my favorite quotes,
“If you don’t know where you’re going, how will you know when you get there?”
What I think is just as important is not only will you not know when you get there, you will not know how to get there.
Success in life does not just happen. Success comes from those that had a dream, turned that dream into a goal, and worked consistently at that goal until they achieved the desired results. That is what ‘planning” is all about; working out the steps and actions to get you to where you want to be.
Planning for me takes different forms depending on what I want to accomplish.
Here are my best tips for mapping out your plan (of action):
- Get specific on what you want to accomplish so you know the intended endgame
- Do any research needed to understand what steps you will need to take
- Break your “goal” into large action steps
- Break those large steps into smaller steps
- Give each step a deadline
- Now, put those steps ON your calendar
- Each week reassess what you have done and make any changes that may be necessary.
Sometimes, my planning can be a map or it can be a series of steps. No matter what method you use, use the method that works best for you, keeps you motivated and on the path to success.